Thursday, February 9, 2012

Memories

As I sit here and watch Madie and Conner at swim practice it reminds me of when I was younger and in sports. I dabbled in basketball and track for a couple of years but it really wasn't my thing. When I was a freshmen in high school, I found that swimming was where I was suppose to be. When I tried out for the swim team I really couldn't swim. When I went to the coach to ask if I could try out to be on the team he asked me what my experience was, I had to finally admit to someone that the only stroke I could do was the doggie paddle :( how sad I know. Well, even with my doggie paddle try out I made the team!! The coach informed me that he would help me become a strong swimmer and work with me on all the strokes. When it came time for my first swim meet I knew how to swim! I saw the back, breast and free styles (butterfly was not for me), I swam in medley relays and even placed a couple of times. Now as I sit here and watch my children I get a strong urge to get back in the pool and swim, I miss those days of getting up early for morning practice in the cold (lived in CA at this time and yes at 6am it's cold) and being in the warm sun in the afternoons swimming laps with my friends. I hope these two wonderful crazy kids of mine find their calling in swimming or what ever sport they eventually decide to do.

No comments: